In order for you to care for your skin properly you must first determine which type of skin you have. There are five types of skin:
There are also two very common skin conditions that may occur either together or separately and may occur with any skin type. These are sensitive and allergic conditions.
- Normal - The skin is soft, supple and smooth. It is fine-textured and free of blemishes (with the exception of periodic blemishes). It has a nice glow and never feels oily or dry.
Less than twenty percent of women have this skin type. If this is your skin type you are fortunate; however, this does not mean that you shouldn’t take care of it.
- Dry - This type of skin to has a fine texture and is transparent looking. It feels tight and drawn without moisturizer and tends to have fine lines around the eyes and mouth. It feels especially dry after washing and may have whiteheads around the eyes and dry patches. This type of skin needs proper care because it shows signs of aging early.
- Oily - The oily complexion is greasy, sallow and course. It has large pores and tends to have pimples, blackheads and whiteheads. Within hours of washing the oiliness will reappear and makeup is usually absorbed quickly.
- Combination - This type of skin is oily in the T zone and the rest of the face is dry. The T zone is the forehead, nose and chin. The extent to which both areas are dry and oily may vary; however, both areas require a separate cleaning routine to restore them to balance.
- Problem Skin - Problem skin is usually oily and has a course texture and is subject to acne. It has large pores, blackheads, red blotches and may become more irritated under stress. If the problem is serious it will require the assistance of a dermatologist.
If when applying skin care products you begin to sneeze, wheeze, itch or breakout you are probably allergic. Skin that appears thin, pale and flushes easily and may be sensitive and be subject to allergies. If this is the case, treat your skin gently and use hypoallergenic products.
About the Author:
Sheila Dicks is a wardrobe and image consultant who teaches women how to look slimmer by dressing to suit their body type. Visit her at
www.sheilasfashionsense.com to download a copy of her e-book Image Makeovers and get How to Build a Wardrobe free.
More Interesting Articles