If youíre like many women, you are confused about how to select the proper skin
care. Or perhaps you have some knowledge of what is available but you aren't sure what is a good choice for you.
Cosmetics come in many forms and deciding which is good for you is often a matter of personal taste. However, in order to make a good decision here is some basic
skin care information that you should know...
Cleansers are used to cleanse the skin of impurities and restore it to its natural oil balance.
Types of Cleansers:
Refreshers are used to complete the cleansing process. They help tone, sooth and re-hydrate the skin while keeping the complexion clear and clean.
- Almost everyone uses soap. If you have dry or oily skin be sure your soap is helping correct the problem. Medicated soaps are meant for acne and problem skin, hypoallergenic soaps are meant for sensitive skin and there are drying soaps for oily skin and oily soaps for dry skin. If you have problem skin it is best to see a dermatologist.
- Liquid cleansers are made for all types of skin. A good cleanser goes deep into the pores to loosen and lift excess oil and makeup.
- Creams are used for dry skin.
- Pad cleansers are a thick wad of absorbent material, and they are good for touch ups throughout the day.
- Grains are coarse cleansers that are used for oily skin.
Types of Refreshers:
Moisturizers replenish your skin's moisture and nourishes it.
- Astringents are meant for oily and normal skin types. They usually have alcohol as an ingredient that will stimulate the complexion and close the pores. This is not a product to use on dry skin.
- Toners are mild refreshers and are meant for normal and dry skin.
- Fresheners are recommended for dry, sensitive or problem skin.
Types of Moisturizers:
Masks exfoliate old surface skin cells as it hydrates and moisturizes the skin.
- Moisturizers for normal skin help maintain the moisture in normal skin.
- Moisturizers for dry skin help restore the skinís natural moisture balance.
- Oil Control Moisturizers help control excess oil and prevent blemishes.
- Emollients are rich creams suited for extra dry skin that replenishes the natural supply of the skinís oil. This moisturizing cream forms a protective shield that minimizes moisture evaporation and allows increased hydration of dry areas.
Types of Masks:
Foundation protects the skin by keeping moisture in and dirt out with the added benefit of a flawless finish. This is a step that some women skip because they donít quit know how to apply it and are not getting the right look.
- Facial Masks for normal to dry skin help relax facial muscles and remove dry flaky skin.
- Facial Masks for oily skin refine the skinís texture and deep cleans to help control surface sebum.
- Pore Packs are designed to eliminate blackheads and reduce blemishes. These are mostly used for oily skin.
A couple of suggestions: make sure you have the type that is compatible with your complexion, test the color on your jaw line and it should be the same color as your complexion and make sure you have exfoliated (if not the foundation will show up as flaky).
Types of Foundation:
Whatever your skin type take care of it by keeping it clean. Cleanse, tone and moisturize every morning and every night. Irregular or improper cleansing causes skin problems and makeup that is left on the skin will dull the skinís surface; while oil and dead skin cells will clog the pores and cause blackheads.
- Full Coverage foundations are used for normal to dry skin for extra hydration.
- Medium Coverage foundations are used for normal to oily skin.
About the Author:
Sheila Dicks is a wardrobe and image consultant who teaches women how to look slimmer by dressing to suit their body type. Visit her at
www.sheilasfashionsense.com to download a copy of her e-book Image Makeovers and get How to Build a Wardrobe free.
More Interesting Articles