More and more people are creating their very own personal websites, and with good reason - a personal website is a great way to share information about yourself with your family, friends, customers, and business associates.
Why would I need a personal website?
So do you really need a personal website? Well, that depends. Here are a few advantages of having one:
What's the best way to get one?
- A personal website provides an easy way to share photos, information about yourself, and even your schedule with other people.
- It can serve as an online "business card", explaining in detail your background, qualifications, and the services you offer.
- Having your own personal website means having your own personal email address that uses your own domain name.
- You'll have complete control over your own personal website with the ability to say whatever is on your mind without having to worry about how it will affect your company's credibility (and possibly losing your job).
There are a couple of ways to get your own personal website, including:
Things to keep in mind when planning for a personal website:
- Hire a web design professional to build one for you. This is the more expensive route, but if you choose your designer carefully you'll end up with a site that looks professional and casts a good light on you.
- Build it yourself with an online site builder or a web design application like FrontPage or Dreamweaver.
- Choose a hosting provider that allows you to use your own domain name.
- Check out other people's personal websites for ideas and inspiration.
- Create or purchase a well-designed logo and graphics that will present a professional image.
- Don't "borrow" content from other sites. If you do find something on someone else's site that you would like to have on yours, ask the owner's permission to use it. If you bestow a bit of praise, you'll likely get a "yes".
More Interesting Articles