Making your own Patio/Garden stones is a great project to do with children. Plus, the stones make great additions to your yard or your garden.
They are very simple to make, and you can decorate them as you please. Here are the steps:
- Purchase a bag of cement mix (usually costs around $5.00).
- Build a form to pour your cement in...we use a wooden form. You can build a square or rectangular form by nailing some old boards together. Alternatively, you can dig a hole in sand, shape it the way you want your stone to look, and then pour in your cement.
- Mix up your cement mix and then simply pour it into your form.
- Let the cement sit for an hour or so and before it hardens, decorate:
Children love to put their hand prints in it. You can also use twigs and mark the year it was made. Or, you can use some favorite rocks or marbles, just stick them in the concrete. You can also use a leaf, press it into the concrete and leave, once it dries the leaf will come out and you will have an impression of a leaf in your stone.
- Water the stone a few times so it doesn't dry to fast and crack.
- Let it sit for at least 24-48 hours.
- Finally, remove it from the form or sand hole and you have a home-made patio/garden stone!
About the Author:
Catherine Pulsifer is one of the authors of A Simple Life:
A journey to a simple life, and, a frugal lifestyle.
More Interesting Articles