you have an asphalt driveway, it is very important that you apply driveway
sealant every two to three years in order to prevent water seepage from
damaging the surface. Here are a few tips for applying driveway sealant
- Always follow the instructions on the sealant container exactly,
step-by-step. Different varieties require different procedures, and if applied
incorrectly you'll just have to seal your driveway again sooner than necessary.
- Pay close attention to the weather report. Driveway sealant should not be applied if
you're expecting falling weather within 36-48 hours after sealing. You should
also wait until the air temperature is at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit before
starting the job.
- Repair any cracks or holes and allow the patches to dry for 24 hours.
- Before applying the sealant, thoroughly clean any and all debris from the
driveway surface with a broom and then scrub it with a mild detergent. Rinse
thoroughly and allow the surface to dry.
- Slightly dampen the surface of the driveway using a garden hose, then
remove any standing water.
- Mix the sealer well and apply in thin coats with a broom, thick brush or
squeegee. Keep the sealant mixed well throughout the entire time that you're
sealing your driveway.
- After the job is finished, block off the freshly sealed driveway and do not
drive on it for at least 24 hours - 36 is even better. Although the sealant will
quickly feel dry to the touch, it takes at least 24 hours for it to "cure".
Using the driveway too soon will damage the newly applied coating of driveway
If you properly prepare for the job, follow the manufacturer's instructions to
the letter and take your time when sealing your driveway, you'll have a good
watertight seal that will protect your expensive asphalt driveway from the
weather's damaging effects for up to three years!
About the Author:
Rick Rouse is the owner of RLROUSE Directory & Informational Resources.
More Interesting Articles